Election Information

Currently, no-excuse voting by mail has been extended by the state law until June 30, 2021. No-excuse voting by mail is a type of early voting, and it is available for all elections held on or before June 30. If you are applying to vote by mail in a town election or special election being held on or before June 30, you may use the Vote by Mail Application (PDF) to request your ballot.  If you are interested in voting by mail in an election held after June 30, please read the information on absentee voting below to decide whether you qualify for an absentee ballot.  Please submit your applications by mail or drop off at Town Hall (18 Main St.) or by emailing the form to townclerk@hopkintonma.gov

Election day is Tuesday, November 3rd, 2020.  All Hopkinton precincts vote at the Hopkinton Middle School, 88 Hayden Rowe St; where polls are open from 6:30am - 8:00pm.  
If you have a mail-in ballot, it may be returned to the drop box at the front of Town Hall (18 Main St) anytime before 8:00pm on Tue 11/3; or it may be mailed as long as it is postmarked by Tue 11/3.  
Please do not bring your mail-in ballot to the polls at the Middle School; it must be dropped off at the Town Hall dropbox, or mailed.  Although, if you have not yet voted, and instead of using your mail-in ballot you wish to vote at the polls, you may do so.  If you have already voted early via mail-in ballot, you cannot change your vote at the polls. 
To find the status of your ballot request, go to the Secretary of State Track My Ballot Website.  If it says "Pending", your request has been received and a ballot will be mailed soon.

Ballot information is available on the State website here.

You can check your registration status on the Secretary's website:





The following is the procedure for seeking office in the Town of Hopkinton. A person must be a registered voter in Hopkinton and either obtain and submit nomination papers by securing the signatures of 50 Hopkinton registered voters; or a person may qualify by being the top vote getter in one of the town political party caucuses; or a combination of both.

Voter Registration

Any person who is a Massachusetts resident, a United States citizen and will be eighteen years old as of the next election is eligible to register to vote. You do not need a driver’s license or any other form of identification to register in person. When you sign the registration form, your must attest, under the pains and penalties of perjury, that you are legally eligible to register and that the information you provide is accurate and truthful. The penalty for fraudulent registration increased recently to a fine of ten thousand dollars or imprisonment for up to five years, or both. First time voters who choose to register by mail are required to show identification. You may include a copy of acceptable identification when returning the mail-in registration form or come by this office to show identification or you will be required to show identification at the polls on Election Day. Acceptable identification includes a driver’s license, current and valid photo id (such as those issued by the Registry), current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or other government document showing your name and the address at which you are registering. The identification is not kept; it is only used to support the identification supplied on the registration form. Inactive voters will receive a notice notifying them that they will be removed from the voting list if they fail to respond to the notice and do not vote in the next two biennial state elections following the mailing of the notice. If you move to another city or town you must register in your new community. You will remain on the list of voters so long as you vote regularly and complete and return the annual municipal census. If you move to another city or town you must register in your new community.

Voter registration forms are available at the Town Clerk’s Office in the Town Hall, at the Library and various other locations throughout the state. Mail-in forms may be obtained at the Town Clerk’s Office in the Town Hall or by calling the State Elections Division at 800-462-8683 or download a form from the Federal Site www.eac.gov. In addition, the state registries of motor vehicles, social service agencies and military recruitment offices provide voter registration services.
Registration Deadlines
You must register to vote at least twenty days before any Town or State election or the Presidential Primary in order to vote.

Election Information

Applications for Absentee Ballots may be obtained by contacting the Town Clerk.  

All precincts vote at the Middle School Gym, 88 Hayden Rowe (enter by Grove Street).  

When you approach the check-in table, first tell the poll worker the name of the street where you live, the number of your residence and finally your name.

In a primary election, voters who are registered in a political party may only obtain a ballot for that party. If you are an unenrolled voter (commonly referred to as an independent voter), you may request the ballot of any party participating in the primary election. You will not become registered in a political party because of your participation in a primary.

When you have finished voting, proceed to the checkout table and again state the street where you live, then the number of your residence and your name. After you have checked out, you deposit your ballot in the ballot box. Children cannot handle official ballots.  Over-voted ballots will be immediately picked up by the election tally machines when someone casts a ballot that has been over-voted. You will have the opportunity to take another ballot and vote again or to cast the over-voted ballot. You must wait until the machine fully accepts or rejects your ballot.  

Provisional ballots will be offered to anyone who feels they are qualified to vote, but are not on the voter list or fail to present identification at the polls. To cast a provisional ballot a person must sign an Affirmation form stating they are a current resident of Hopkinton and registered to vote or return with identification before the polls close. Provision ballots are counted if the election official can verify the individual's eligibility. After the election anyone who has cast a provisional ballot may inquire if their ballot was voted.

Acceptable identification includes a driver's license, current and valid photo id (such as those issued by the Registry), current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or other government document showing your name and the address at which you are registering. The identification is not kept; it is only used to support the identification supplied on the registration form.

Prohibited Activities

State law prohibits the display of political paraphernalia within 150 feet of the entrance to the polling location. Signs, stickers and even lapel buttons are not permitted within this restricted zone.  The School Committee has enacted a written policy to prohibit the dissemination of all non-school information on school grounds.

Absentee Voting Requirements

Voters who are unable to vote on election day because of physical disability, religious beliefs or travel may vote by absentee ballot. State law limits the availability of absentee ballots to the three listed circumstances. Absentee ballots are not available for mere inconvenience, or because of ordinary commuting. If you will be absent from Hopkinton for an extended period of time, you may submit a single application for all elections occurring within the year the application is accepted.

Obtaining an Absentee Ballot

Applications for absentee ballots may be obtained from the Town Clerk, the Office of the Secretary of State or on the Forms link on this web site. The voter or a family member may submit an application for a voter. Also, any form of written communication requesting an absentee ballot may be filed with the Town Clerk’s office. The voter or family member must sign all written requests under the pains and penalties of perjury before a ballot will be made available.

Returning the Application for an Absentee Ballot

The applications for absentee ballots must be received by the Town Clerk before 12:00 noon the day before an election or 5 pm on the preceding day that the office is open if the day before an election is a Sunday or a holiday. If the voter submits the application in person, he may cast a ballot at the clerk’s office. When a family member submits the application in person, the ballot must be sent by mail to the voters. Absentee ballots may be mailed or hand-delivered to the clerk’s office, but must arrive before the close of the polls on election day.

Permanently Disabled Voters

If a voter submits a note from a registered physician indicating that she or he is permanently disabled, the Town Clerk will send an absentee ballot for every election in that year and thereafter.  Absentee Ballot application must still be completed and returned each year.

Overseas Voters

If a voter is residing overseas, they are allowed to vote absentee.  Absentee ballots can be mailed, emailed, or faxed to overseas voters upon completion of a Federal Postcard Application.  Click here for Federal Postcard Application  


     no postings