Needs Based Assistance Resources

Scroll for list of basic resources.

Please call to verify location/hours have not changed before visiting an office.  Looking for a resource you can't find here?  Call us at Youth and Family Services for help! 508-497-9781


Transitional Assistance- Framingham 300 Howard Street, Framingham, MA 01702 Phone: (508) 661-6600, DTA strives to provide individuals and families with food assistance, job assistance, cash assistance and emergency shelter.

Social Security- Suite 101, One Clarks Hill, Framingham, MA 01702, 1-844-587-1390, TTY 1-800-325-0778

South Middlesex Opportunity Council, Inc.: 7 Bishop Street, Framingham, MA  01702, (508) 620-1230, Fuel Assistance, Housing Assistance, Budgeting Help, Tax Preparation Help, and more.


Project Just Because:  If you are a Hopkinton Resident, you can use the Project Just Because - Hopkinton Food Pantry.  508-435-6511

A Place to Turn: A Place To Turn is committed to providing emergency food and clothing to residents in the Metrowest community. 99 Hartford St, Natick, MA 01760, 508-655-8868 Fax: 508-655-8868. A referral from a social service agency is required (you can call Hopkinton Youth and Family Services 508-497-9781 for this purpose).

Women, Infants and Children (WIC) Nutrition Program:  is a free nutrition program that provides healthy foods, nutrition education, breastfeeding support, and referrals to healthcare and other services to Massachusetts families who qualify. WIC’s goal is to keep pregnant and breastfeeding women and kids under 5 healthy. To apply for WIC or find out more, call 1-800-WIC-1007.  One local WIC office is found at 114 Water Street, Milford, MA 01757, (508) 634-8012


New Life Furniture Bank: Provides gently used furniture and housewares to those in need. (Requires a referral from a social service agency or clergy. You can call Hopkinton Youth and Family Services 508-497-9781 for this purpose).  Located in Walpole, MA. 774-316-6395.


Health Care for All:  Health Care for All’s HelpLine is a free resource available to everyone simply by dialing 1-800-272-4232. The HelpLine will answer your questions about health coverage in Massachusetts.

The Health Safety Net: a program for Massachusetts residents who are not eligible for health insurance or can't afford to buy it. Help Desk: 1-877-910-2100; or Main Office: 617-988-3100


Where can I find a complete listing of agencies that provide statewide information and support?  Visit the Commonwealth of Massachusetts

  • The Department of Mental Health (DMH):  offers an array of services for state residents of all ages who have persistent mental health issues.  617-626-8000
  • The Department of Developmental Services (DDS):  offers an array of services for residents with cognitive/developmental disabilities.  617-727-5608
  • The Department of Children and Families (DCF): committed to protecting children and strengthening families. When children are abused or neglected by the people responsible for caring for them, DCF will intervene to ensure the safety of the children. DCF responds to reports of abuse or neglect 24 hours a day. DCF becomes involved if there are any concerns that caretakers, parents, step-parents, guardians or other persons responsible for caring for children may be abusing or neglecting these children.  617-748-2000
  • The Department of Veterans Services (DVS):   is the chief advocate for the nearly half-million veterans of the Commonwealth and their families. 617-210-5480
  • Executive Office of Elder Affairs (EOEA):  provides a connection point for seniors and caregivers to learn about programs and services from health insurance, respite care, local programming, protective services, caregiver support, alternative and assisted living, and more.   1-617-727-7750
  • The Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (ESE):   1-781-338-3000
  • The Department of Public Health: State agency offering prevention, early intervention, and substance abuse services.  617-624-6000
  • Rehabilitation Commission (Mass Rehab or MRC): MRC promotes dignity for individuals with disabilities through employment and independent living in the community. Home of multiple programs that work together to help individuals with disabilities:  The Vocational Rehabilitation Services Program, The Community Services Program, and The Disability Determination Services Program. For more info contact MRC Ombudsperson 1-617-204-3603
  • Department of Transitional Assistance (DTA): strives to provide individuals and families with food assistance, job assistance, cash assistance and emergency shelter. Office of the Commissioner: 600 Washington Street, Boston, MA  02111, 617-348-8400.
  • The Division of Unemployment Assistance (DUA): is the state agency responsible for administering the unemployment insurance program in Massachusetts. 19 Staniford Street, Boston, MA 02114, 617-626-6560.