Update on the Potential Expansion of the Historic District
The Historic District Commission believes that by expanding the historic district, the character and historic significance of our town can be preserved. In the fall of 2018, the HHDC held three public forums, conducted a public survey and sent out a mailing to residents in the proposed expansion area.
After receiving input from the public this fall, the HHDC voted on November 29, 2018 on the following next steps:
- Complete work on our written Historic District Design Guidelines in 2019 - many other towns already have these and we intend to get public feedback on the draft before finalizing.
- Work on updating the town bylaw Chapter 123 (Historic District) to account for modern needs that were not anticipated when it was originally written (solar panels, satellite dishes, central air units, etc.), consider other changes such as not reviewing paint color and lessening restrictions, especially on newer homes in the district - any changes to the bylaw will require a town meeting vote.
- Take the proposed expansion OFF the table for Town Meeting 2019. Focus on meeting with property owners in the areas of town that were most receptive to being included in the district and consider trying for a smaller expansion for Town Meeting 2020.
Please see the following documents for more information.
- Consultant Recommendations (2016 Hopkinton Historic Resources Survey Plan) (See page 54 for general recommendations. See pages 59-62 for recommendations on the Center Historic District.)
- Letter to Property Owners
- FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
- List of Streets to be Considered for Potential Expansion
- Map of Potential Expansion Area
- Public Survey Results - Fall 2018
- Videos of our Public Listening Sessions: