To view the current member roster for this Board, visit their site on Hopkinton's Boards & Committee Database by clicking here
- Land Use Department
- Please submit all written comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Copies of the Board of Appeals rules, minutes and decisions are on file at the Office of Town
Before filing any pleading with the Board of Appeals, you are strongly encouraged to review the Town General and Zoning Bylaws and Current Zoning Map.
The Board of Appeals is a quasi-judicial administrative board that hears and decides zoning related matters pursuant to MGL c. 40A, and applications for Comprehensive Permits pursuant to MGL c. 40B. The Board of Appeals generally schedules public hearings on the second and fourth Wednesday of each month at 7:00 P.M. For specific hearings, verify the date and time contained in the Board's meeting agenda posted on the Town website and filed with the Town Clerk's office at Town Hall. Public hearing notices are also filed with the Town Clerk's office. The Board of Appeals is presently meeting remotely, and the link to each meeting is available on the calendar listing of the meeting on the Town website.
This Board has been established in accordance with MGL c. 40A, s. 12 and the Town’s Zoning By-Laws. It consists of five (5) regularly voting Members and four (4) Associate Members. An Associate Member may be designated to vote on a matter pending before the Board in the absence, inability to act or conflict of interest on the part of any Regular Member, or in the event of a vacancy on the Board, until said vacancy has been filled. Terms of Regular Members and of Associate Members are staggered five (5) year terms.
Duties of Board members include hearing and deciding relief for applications for special permits, petitions for variances, and for various types of appeals related to zoning matters in accordance with authority granted under MGL c. 40A s. 14.
Application of sound and equitable judgment and a willingness to learn and be guided by the state Zoning Act, Hopkinton’s Zoning By-Laws, and judicial decisions are important qualifications for work on the Board.
Documents and Links:
- Applications Checklist
- General Filing Instructions
- Schedule of Filing Fees
- On-Line Payment Center
- Uniform Application for Special Permit /Petition for Variance
- Appeal of Administrative Decision
- Supplemental Information for Pre-Existing Non-Conforming Uses & Structures
- Request for Continuance of Public Hearing
- Request to Withdraw Filing Without Prejudice
- Procedural & Administrative Rules
- State Zoning Act - MGL c. 40A
- Comprehensive Permit Law c 40B
- American Planning Association
- Citizens' Housing and Planning Association
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Massachusetts Legislature
- Massachusetts Courts of Law
All Applications for Special Permits for Affordable Housing Projects under MGL c. 40B must be filed in accordance with state requirements and the Board of Appeals' Comprehensive Permit Rules and Policy/Guidelines.